Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Oxytocin...Is That You?

There is a very odd heaviness in my belly this late morning. And my Braxton Hicks is kicking in at 11:00 AM - very, very, unusual. That is usually a late evening thing for me, or is triggered when I lay against my back. Faith has also been unusually quiet over the last 24 hours. She's in there, just more quiet.

There is also something else. And I've done a little research. It is a first for me as I don't recall having this sensation with my other two. I've mentioned before that my body has started to practice letting down for nursing. The feeling is not nearly as strong as a true let down, but it is the feeling that you have in the first second or two prior to the actual let down of breast milk. The science fanatic in me is interested by this let down practice in that it will precede a contraction. In fact, it is the first sign that notifies me a contraction is coming. It isn't always present before a contraction, but more often then not, it precedes the stronger contractions. This would make sense medically, as contractions and the letting down response are both triggered by the hormone oxytocin.

So here is the deal: This morning my stomach is doing a whole lot of contracting and letting down practice. Which means I'm swimming in oxytocin right now. And that is good!!! I don't know what is up, if anything, but knowing that my body is in oxytocin mode is a really positive sign for me. And again, the letting down sensation before the birth of my baby is new. I'm SO hoping that I still might stand a chance of avoiding Pitocin. (Fingers and toes crossed.)

No comments: