Thursday, April 13, 2006

What's In Your Breakfast?

I'm having a really hard time lately rolling myself out of bed until Faith says it is time to wake up. Fortunately, she loves to sleep in until about 7:30 (that's sleeping in for mommies). Grace and Jack, my crack-of-dawn children, have a tendency to wake up before the sun. And lately, they've been feeling REALLY independent with making their own breakfast. Unfortunately as the pantry gets more bare, and I find less time for grocery runs, they find ways to get more creative with breakfast food.

If we are fortunate to have bread in the house, they'll make toast. When the bread runs out, I'll find remnants of hamburger or hot dog buns laying around the kitchen. When the buns run out, they refocus on milk. Milk with chocolate syrup or chocolate powder. Yesterday was divine. I came down the stairs to discover that someone had gotten REALLY creative and made an interesting concoction of milk with chocolate syrup and cookie sprinkles. Sprinkles were everywhere! When I asked what else they had chosen for breakfast they fessed up to Goldfish and Ritz Bits crackers. I didn't know if I should feel like the worst mother ever or laugh my tail off.

I still haven't made it to the store, but I did bake a loaf of fresh bread in the breadmaker today so I am feeling a little redeemed...but nervous. We're almost out of milk.

No comments: