Monday, April 03, 2006

It Has Been Awhile

Thanks to family. For the arrival of our third child, Ken and I opted to do something different with family visits. Usually family rolled in within the first month of a new baby, but with Faith things have happened later. We just said good bye to Nana, cousin Alyssa and Aunt Sarah, and today Ken's parents arrived for a full week (wahoo!).

I think I enjoy the later visits much more. It has been really rewarding to be able to see Faith interact and smile back at all of these new and interesting faces (as opposed to being this tiny little wee one who is either sleeping or eating). We are dealing with a much more predictable schedule, I've got much more sleep in myself, and we all can enjoy the visit and take off to go do things easier. I also have found as I grow older and better equipped in the "home economics world" that I enjoy cooking for visiting family, which I wouldn't be able to do with a newborn.

Faith is just over two months old now, and loves to be immersed in a busy active world. She still prefers to take hour catnaps in my wrap while we go about our day to day activities. I've discovered that Faith NEEDS movement to calm her and wear her down for sleep. Sometimes I even have to walk and nurse. On top of all that, she's been very refluxy, projectile spitting what looks like the entire days worth of nursing. This could have been a big problem for a mother of three. But, I am so grateful to have learned about the "art" of babywearing with wraps otherwise, I know that these first two months would have been incredibly difficult on me emotionally and on my arms! By the using the wrap, I can keep her belly upright, which helps greatly with reflux issues. I really feel like the Lord was watching down over us, and threw me a wrap after a month, saying "Here, you're going to need this."

Now, I feel like I can do anything with a baby napping on my back. I can still serve the Lord and teach my three year old Sunday school class, without interrupting a regular morning nap for Faith. She's with me, but yet off the floor and at a safe distance from curious little hands. Or I can enjoy preparing dinner for the in-laws, or grocery shop till my cart can hold no more. The benefits have been endless.

I'm still waiting on my Mei Tais, but they shipped on Friday. Now I'm worried that I'm a step above Mei Tais with versatility and comfort and I won't like them as much as Faith and I lurvve our Didy wrap. I'm sure I'll love them, they just won't be the workhorse of our babywearing world. I'll be sure to post pictures when they arrive.

No comments: