Friday, April 07, 2006

I Need To Redeem Myself

This blog is backsliding. I admit it is much more fun to blog about family and new babies in the house than it is about homeschooling. We've had a lot of visitation over the last month and quite a bit of adjustment, but we have held strong with schooling...to a point. I have recently felt my Charlotte Mason roots sliding just a tad. The kids have no objection (yet) to worksheets and sometimes it is so much easier to *feel* like they have done something to show for schooling if I give them a few worksheets.

Grace especially is a worksheet-a-holic and has lately been making copies of her own worksheets to do before I even wake up in the morning. I've also been working more closely with Jack as he is at a spot where he really is leaning on me as he learns how to read and add. We have been keeping up with our reading, although it is taking us much longer to get through Understood Betsy than I had planned, and it will probably take us to the end of the term. We'll most likely need to reserve A Wind in The Willows for next term over the summer.

Or studies in Columbus and the Vikings have been going very well, and I have appreciated putting the two together as they go hand in hand. And...well...Marco Polo...that book has been pushed aside until I can figure out a better way to pull that entire lesson plan together. I'm not concerned though, as that is reserved for AO Year 2 material. It was just my geography for Grace, but we'll work around that by working on maps for Columbus and the Vikings.

I MUST get back to narrations. It was easy with 50 Famous Stories to ask for a narration. Now I am lucky if I can get through any reading without interruption of the baby, so it increasingly more difficult lately to find time to ask for a narration after completing the reading.

I am determined to start blogging up again on this site. I am hoping that it will keep me more focused and accountable as I do not wish to ditch CM in the long run as a matter of convenience. The baby calls...

(Note...this post was moved from a former homeschool only blog to Our Golden Apples blog.)

No comments: