Friday, April 28, 2006

10 Years of Marriage...and Counting Part I

I can't believe it is almost here. On the 18th of May, Ken and I will be celebrating 10 amazing years of marriage together. I look back at our wedding pictures, and I find myself now thinking about how young we were. How easy it would have been to make a stupid decision that could have lasted a lifetime. And how confident I was that Ken was divinely placed in my path, just so that I would marry him. It is one of those cases when you look back and can see just what God was up to...how His large hands were prearranging everything in my life...how much He loved me.

It was the summer of '94 and I had come home from my sophmore year in college. I was looking to turn over a new leaf after a long string of poor dating decisions. It was the summer I vowed to focus only on Christ. It was the summer I carried a little camo colored New Testament Bible with me everywhere. It was the summer I discovered the eloquent writings of C.S. Lewis. It was the summer I found work as a camp counselor/administrative assistant for a summer camp that served inner city children. It was, and still is, the summer I remember most fondly.

I wanted that job as a camp counselor so badly, I was willing to work for pennies. I wanted to warm hearts and give these children happy summer memories and smiles. I remember my interview for the job very well. There was a beautiful blonde woman, as short as me, with a twinkle in her eye and a warm smile. I could tell there wasn't a bad bone in her soul. I would be working for her and her coworker entering camp applications by day, and acting as a counselor assistant during mealtimes and in the evening, and overnight. I SO wanted this job. And she gave it to me.

The summer was wonderful. The kids were an inspiration to me. The Word was fresh in my heart. One day, that cheery woman who had hired me, and who I had gotten to know very well, inquired about a piece of my personal life. It was a very friendly inquiry, not intrusive. Something along the lines of, "I'm sure a nice gal like you has a boyfriend in the picture." I remember laughing to myself. I remembered my vow to leave boys alone this summer. And I said with confidence, "Nope."

Weeks passed. And then one day that woman with the twinkle in her eye put me at a new post. Used to working in a back room away from visitors, she placed me at the front desk. I remember being all thumbs and scared to death to answer the phone. I hated talking on the phone to strangers. I felt like I sounded like a bluthering idiot on phones. So I was nervous about this odd assignment, but feeling better by noon. And then HE walked in.

The cleanest cut kid, in a polo shirt and kakhi pants. He was my age, with raven black hair, high cheek bones, perfect teeth, a glowing tan and light blue piercing eyes. He looked like he had walked right off the page of a catalog. He was perfect. He was coming to pick his mother up for a lunch date. His mother, I soon discovered was that cute little happy woman whom I had grown to love. The one who had placed me smack in the front of the office that day.

We chatted briefly...he and I. He had an air of confidence that blew me away, and a smile that also brimmed with that same confidence. He shook my hand when it was time to go. I have no idea what we said to each other. But I do remember one thing as I watched him open the door for his mother on the way out. (Even more perfect.) Before he left, he looked back at me (staring at him), and he raised his eyebrows as he said good bye. He looked back.

I remember walking through the path in the woods to get to the cafeteria for lunch that day. I prayed a prayer to God. A prayer for the future. That one day Lord, not today, but one day, I would meet a man like him. Certainly not him. I didn't deserve him. But one day Lord, maybe someone just like him. When I had earned it.

...to be continued...

No comments: