Saturday, April 08, 2006

Now You See Them, Now You Don't

I've been sitting on this post. I wasn't sure if I had given them enough time. They arrived last Friday. Aren't they lovely? The picture can't possibly do them justice. They are incredibly well made, and the fabric is scrumptious, but they just aren't working for me or Faith.

I've finding them much more difficult to tie on and work with. With a wrap I have two ends to deal with and control, with a Mei Tai, I'm finding four to be too tedious. I can't seem to get them as tight as I can wrap my Didymos around the shoulders and torso. Faith is also not as crazy with them, but this also may be due to her sensing my frustration. She did fall asleep in one once, but I just didn't feel as snug with her. So I hate to do it, but I spent too much doe-rai-me on these...and I know I'll just grab my trustworthy wrap when I head out the door or toodle around the house. They have to go back. *sniff*.

The good news is I could now "exchange" my Mei Tai purchases for another Didymos. My confidence is in my Didy. I can wrap Faith securely on my back in 30 seconds flat. And it feels great no matter what the weight. The other day my 40lb Jack put his arm around my waist and said, "Mom? When can I ride you?"...translation..."When can I get a piggy back in that thing?". It was such a cute request, I said I'd try. He hopped on my back from the couch, I did a rucksack carry on my back and we walked around the house as he giggled in glee.

So, as soon as they are in the box, and at the post office, I'll be on the hunt for a more gender neutral Didy that Ken can also use, and still feel like a stud. The pink Didy is a hard pill to swallow for a guy. Ken making a statement of masculinity wearing the pink Didy.

Since we really enjoyed our hike together this week, I think it might be a worthy purchase. Good bye pretty Mei Tais...you really were a work of art, but practicality speaks louder than beauty for this baby totin' mama.

No comments: