Saturday, April 29, 2006

10 Years of Marriage...and Counting Part II

A week passed since I had met that incredibly handsome young man with the intriguing air of confidence. I allowed myself to think about him, but only think about him at a distance. He was way out of my league. And when we met, my appearance was quite poor. I hadn't showered. I was wearing work boots with shorts. I probably had some lame bandanna in my short hair that still had green at the tips from a horrible boxed dye job gone very bad. I certainly didn't fit the bill. But *someone* like him God...

While working in the office later that week, I received a call. I didn't receive calls at the office. I couldn't imagine who or what was on the other end. I don't think I blinked for an entire minute when I heard HIS voice on the other end. Friendly. Casual. Relaxed. And that confidence that I didn't know if I should place as cocky or simply as true confidence. He didn't waste much time with his purpose. I recall the words, "I know you don't know me, but I was wondering if you might want to go out sometime." Stunned, I reflexively managed a measley notation of agreement and asked him "When?". He shot out a date, and my mind whirled with a million questions.

What about my vow to stay clear from young men this summer?
What would happen if our date went horribly? He's my bosses son! The awkwardness would be unbearable.
Why is he so confident? Has anyone said "No." to this guy before?
I'm going to be on vacation in Colorado that week. Why do I have to go on vacation THAT week?
Lord, you heard my prayer, is this from you? Or is this a cruel ploy from enemy lines?

I thought for sure that when I told him I would be unavailable on that date, that would be the end of his pursuit, and he'd quickly end the phone call. Instead, he told me that he really wanted to see me. He didn't want to wait three weeks. Could we meet for a date sooner? Again, I caught myself thinking...."Who does this guy think he is?"

I didn't know if I should be flattered and swooning, or if the red flags should be popping up. Someone had eavesdropped on my prayer, and I didn't know for sure who. It ended up that we agreed to go on a date to dinner that Friday before I left for the family reunion at Estes Park, CO. I hung up and my heart was pounding. I also felt like my brains were stewing, as I began to wonder how much his Mom knew about all of this. I didn't know what to say if I bumped into her by the copy machine now, or how to say it.

I did know one thing...I was going on a summer date with a guy I knew for all of about 10 minutes. But I'd been baited with his alluring confidence, his kind manners, and his style. How he could turn my mind inside out in minutes, had me interested. Very interested.

....continued.....

No comments: