Tuesday, July 11, 2006

BrainPOP: A Homeschooler's Dream Site

Today, I was on a little jaunt online, looking for web sites that I could bookmark for our upcoming nature studies in germination and food chains. I found some wonderful sites, but BrainPOP blew me out of the water. Do you guys know about BrainPOP ???


I don't know where I've been, but apparently someone is well aware of the site, as it has received many accolades and numerous awards. The idea is simple: BrainPOP has created hundreds of animated movies that provide an informative glance over hundreds of topics within six core school subjects: science, social studies, math, english, health and technology. This is not an ordinary slap it together web site...this site will really impress you. What has me excited is that while the 2-3 minute videos are concise, they pack a lot of punch.

BrainPOP's topics cover a wide range and I am already drooling over movie primers that I will be able to use with the children this term. For example, I was able to locate informative movies on the six animal kingdoms, seed plants, continents, pollination, the food chain, the north pole, mapping, and photosynthesis. They even have a movie on Shakespeare for pete's sake! In addition, each topic has additional features including a time line, experiment ideas, a worksheet activity, online quizzes, and much more.

What I like in particular is that it offers me the opportunity to use the computer to educate the children in quick informative blips. This is important to me, as I try to look for ways to balance how I educate the children in a topic. I strive to have a bonanza of different ways to learn the same broad concepts in and outside of the room.

For example, this term we will be using various animal Toobs in which the children will need to separate invertebrates from vertebrates, or separate mammals from amphibians, etc (Toobs are actual tubes containing various plastic miniatures of animals...you can find them on www.Christianbooks.com). This task appeals to the Montessori lover. We will also be using board games like The Wild Seed Game and the food chain game called Into The Forest. This particular term, our Ambleside Online reading doesn't tie into our nature study, but we'll be focusing on library books that review germination and food chain topics. We'll also be in the middle of it with our own germination experiments and observation in the yard. To add brief additions of computer time, rounds out the school time. And while we were already doing this...sites like these add incredible value.

There is a catch. BrainPOP does cost an annual or monthly membership for homeschooling families, however, you do have full access to the site for an ample 14 days before you need to decide for yourself if the site appeals to you. BrainPOP has two thumbs up from this homeschooling educator.

No comments: