Thursday, December 15, 2005

Little Pea...Speaking Up for Spinach

This has nothing to do with homeschooling, but I need to stop and make a few comments about a great book that I checked out for the children at the library called "Little Pea". It a small simple story about a young pea that has to eat all of his CANDY for dinner, before he can have his dessert - SPINACH. The children have found this concept entirely humorous, and it has become an instant favorite. I highly recommend searching this one out at your library. As a parent, the story is short and clever enough that it is hard to tire of it.

It certainly had an influence on Jack. Who decided that tonight he wanted Spinach for his dessert. And he was serious. As luck would have it, I had a box of frozen spinach (which honestly has been in my freezer for over a year). I brought out the box and let Jack look at the picture of spinach on the front. He was a little more tentative, but still open to trying it...until I mentioned that it was a vegetable. As soon as he heard the word "vegetable" he instantly changed his mind.

What did he have for dessert? CANDY.

No comments: