Friday, December 23, 2005

Grace Reads Her First Chapter Book

Our family is on a huge Kate DiCamillo kick right now as a result of our adventures with Despereaux. To my delight, I discovered on our last weekly library trip that DiCamillo has also started an easy to read chapter book series. Her first book in the series was just released and is called, "Mercy Watson to the Rescue". The outstanding illustrations in the book, and the short chapters that divide the 70 pages, make this a wonderful way of easing into reading chapter books. Next Monday will be her last chapter read for the book.

I can't believe I am writing this post. As I write now, she is reading to her younger brother in the next room. Grace has progressed with incredible speed in her reading. Without question, teaching my own child how to read has been one of the greatest highlights, and accomplishments of my homeschooling year. What an irreplaceable blessing.

Grace reading this evening to Jack.

No comments: