Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Renoir Back In The Studies

I'm ashamed to admit that Renoir, as great of a master painter that he was, has been on hiatus for a long while. Our basic studies as well as our nature study was consuming most of our time, and well...interest. But today, I made a determined effort to get the children reaccquainted with Renoir.

Before I knew it we had played one match of Renoir Memory, done a small magnetic Renoir puzzle, and played I Spy with the numerous Dover Publications Renoir postcards I had on file.

I am experiencing a phenomenon that I can't quite recall the name of back in my Psychology college classes. Retro-Memory something or other??? It is when something in our memory from the past, blocks our ability to recall present short term memory. Grace has assigned Edgar Degas' name to every painter. Every painting is a Degas, and I seem to be having problems getting her to make the full connection that Renoir and Tissot were different painters. It is difficult to explain when they are really all from the same general period of time and painted with the same Impressionist flair (Renoir and Degas).

Unfortunately, I haven't found a great children's oriented book that puts that in perspective yet.

No comments: