Friday, October 21, 2005

Montessori Tray: Locks & Keys

I've been waiting for weeks now to get my hands on a variety of locks and keys for the children to work with. Other than the bathroom and front doors, we live a rather lockless life. So yesterday I had my chance at Walmart and grabbed a large key lock, two small luggage key locks, the standard locker combination lock, and a lock that has 4 individual number dials.

Later, Ken and I found ourselves forcing the children outside to play. We laughed as we watched them walk aimlessly around the yard trying to find something of interest to do. Ken commented that our children needed to learn how to pretend outside more. I challenged him to think of something to pretend (other than the ususual pretending they did), and we laughed that he couldn't think of anything either.

The kids came back inside begging to be let back in the house. In a strong mommy effort to get them back outdoors, I decided to "teach" my children how to play the game of cops and robbers. They had never heard of the game. Giving them a brief lesson in using a key lock, I showed them how to wrap up each other's wrists with a chain and lock the lock to put them in jail. I watched as their eyes lit up with the idea of locking someone up for fun.

So yesterday and today they have been entertaining themselves with the various types of locks. Wrapping up their stuffed animals in chains and locks, and then saving them. They are having trouble recalling the name of the game though, and keep calling it "Locks and Lockers". I actually like their name better, as there was an odd feeling in the pit of my stomach when I was teaching that the "robber" needs to steal something, so the "cop" could catch him.

While this is an official Montessori activity, the locks can't stay on the tray long enough.

No comments: