Thursday, October 20, 2005

A Fractional Pepper Epiphany

Grace and I reviewed fractions today. The child is a math genius in my eyes. At the age of almost 6, math comes so easy to her.

Today she was doing a math worksheet - coloring a certain number of fruit and veggies displayed in a total to illustrate the fraction presented in each problem. Our last fraction was 3/6. There were 6 peppers.

She sat for a little longer on this, and with thoughtfulness in her voice said, "Hmm. I'll need to decide if these should be green peppers, red peppers, or yellow peppers." That statement in itself surprised me. And after a little more thought, she said with a smile, "Oh. Mom. Look what I'm going to do!". She then proceeded to color the first one red, the second green, and the last yellow. She was so satisfied that her math equation had answered her desire to express all three pepper colors.

I was beaming with pride.

No comments: