Saturday, November 05, 2005

We Owe No Man Anything

I was thinking we had two more months, but the Lord had bigger plans. This month turned out to be overflowing with God's blessings. This week, He provided for us in such a grand way that it blew our socks off. It was to the point that we were both shaking our heads the other night in awe of God's goodness. It was sobering.

It was as if God wanted to say, "I just wanted you both to know that I am celebrating this achievement with you." He had to be laughing at our shock and awe: Our final payment toward our house. PAID.

And now we can say, that we "Owe no man anything..." (Romans 13:8).

None of our blessings are deserved, but I do believe our obedience to the Lord's command to tithe has played a large roll in our business success. Ken and I have tithed consistently in plentiful times and bare times, trying to be good stewards of the Lord's provisions for our household.

My father taught me many things about following Christ, but tithing was an example that really stuck with me. My parents always tithed, and it was very important in our household growing up. When it came time for me to tithe on my own, I didn't even question it.

Taking a step of faith, while you are still in debt, shows the Lord that you trust Him with your first fruits. We seem to forget or not want to recognize that it is the Lord who gives us our fruits to begin with. He has never ceased to provide for our family. And He is SO creative about how He accomplishes this. If there is one thing that God is NOT, its boring.

No comments: