Wednesday, November 02, 2005

OOOO! Minn Is Good. Really Good.

We read the first chapter of Minn of Mississippi today, and I could feel the excitement growing for this book. In the fourth paragraph, Holling is already going into the formation of sandstone, limestone, shale and granite. I did not realize this would be mentioned (thinking I would be doing the rock study solo), but this was a great introduction to a number of our rocks in our identification kit.

After the first chapter, I took the opportunity to sit with Grace and have her describe to me the different characteristics of these rocks as she held them in her hand. Her favorite part is trying to make a streak on the white streak plate. By the end of it, she was correctly identifying each of the rocks, and understanding more about their origins.

I'm liking Minn!

No comments: