Friday, November 18, 2005

Egg On My Face Again

Jack has reminded me again that I am coddling his capabilities. He has become very strong with his printing of letters, and in the last two months we have been working on practicing over the dashed lines of letter strokes, and then doing only two attempts at capital and lowercase letters completely free handed. Two months ago, this was a very daunting task for Jack, but with continued encouragement from Mama he's gaining ground and confidence.

Today after working on a worksheet with dashed out words, he decided to go above and beyond the call of duty and select another worksheet. When he picked out the worksheet (writing the words for numbers 1-5 completely freehand), I found myself actually saying to him, "That's a pretty hard worksheet Jack. Are you sure?" He gladly took the challenge and aced the strokes. I'm still trying to get all of the egg off my face.

Maybe I'm in denial. My little "Bubba" is growing up, and it is becoming clear to me this week that somewhere deep down, I'm fighting that.

No comments: