Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Trading Hymns For Prayers

Ambleside Online includes the use of learning hymns and folk songs in their curriculum, which falls right in line with Charlotte Mason. This is the only part of the curriculum that causes a struggle within me.

I have a strong appreciation for many of the classics, but the thought of teaching my children hymns, admittedly has been one I have avoided. It just sounds boring (throw tomatoes now). If you catch me singing praises in the car, it is to bands like Audio Adrenaline, Jars of Clay, or Swiftfoot. I'm sure Ms. Mason would be rolling over in her grave. I'm guessing I'm not your typical Ambleside mother.

I do have an alternative that I think is an equivalent to memorizing hymns, and that is memorizing prayers. Hymns and prayers are very much similar in their intent and posture. One of the legacies I want to leave to my children is a plethora of prayers. Prayers said together as a family, like hymns, can bring a flood of childhood memories back to the adult mind. The act of passing prayers on through generation after generation, is important to me.

Starting last January we began memorizing a new prayer for each term. These prayers are said as a blessing over our meals, and the children relish picking out the prayer to be said. Here is what we have learned so far:

Robert Herrick's - A Child's Grace
Here a little child I stand,
Heaving up my either hand.
Cold as paddocks though they be,
Now I lift my hands to thee,
For a benison to fall,
On our meal and on us all.


Paddocks are another word for frogs, and a Benison is a blessing.

This next prayer is one carried down from Ken's German paternal grandparents. It is a combination of two Lutheran prayers and was said a mealtime.

All eyes wait upon Thee O Lord,
And Thou givest them their meat in due season.
Thou openest thine hand,
And satisfiest the desires of every living thing.
O Lord God, heavenly Father
Bless unto us these Thy gifts
Which of Thy tenderkindness
Thou as bestowth upon us.
Through the merits of Jesus Christ,
Our Lord and Savior.
Ever one God,
World without end. Amen

Our last prayer is actually a portion of a song from Nicole Nordeman appropriately called "Gratitude".

Daily bread, give us daily bread
Bless our bodies, keep our children fed
Fill our cups, then fill them up again tonight
Wrap us up and warm us through
Tucked away beneath our sturdy roofs
Let us slumber safe from danger's view this time
Or maybe not, not today
Maybe You'll provide in other ways
And if that's the case . . .

We'll give thanks to You
With gratitude
A lesson learned to hunger after You
That a starry sky offers a better view if no roof is overhead
And if we never taste that bread.

I have been in search of more prayers that we could learn for next year's terms. If any of you have ones that are near and dear to your heart, I would love to have you include them in the comments section.

No comments: