Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Please Tell Me This Is Just a Phase

Jack informed me this evening that he would now like me to return his knight/pumpkin costume to the store. When I asked him why, he said "I would like to trade them in for butterfly wings now". AAHHHHHH!!!!!

I'm trying to stay calm telling myself that his preferences for the color pink, princess dinner plates, and now costumes are just a phase. After all, the child loves to head butt, wrestle, treasures his trains and cars, and enjoys watching football games already with his father. I know so much of it is my own stereotyping issues. But he's loved the color pink for two years now, choosing to do most of his school writing in pink marker.

Is a mother to draw the line at picking pink dinner trays and Disney princess plates?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The girls will love him when he gets older!! I wouldn't worry about him. Let him have his fun.

Levi, age 3, likes all the Barbie movies but for toys it's still tractors. Most of the boy type shows scare him with all the violence.

Mama Knucker Hatch said...

Thank you for the encouragement Donna. I've come to the same conclusion over the last few days.

Ken and I have spent a lot of time this week focusing on Jack and trying to assess a number of issues we see arising. It is clear that part of the problem is he feels he has to be on equal footing with Grace, trying to do everything as well as she does, or just like her. The competition between the two of the them is so thick. And with two years between them, this results in a lot of disappointment and frustration on his end. His self confidence has really started to become jaded in the last year. His approach to almost everything is from the negative side.

So, I'm wondering if some of his choices are more of a factor of Jack just trying to stay in step with his sister. More of a symptom, rather than the problem itself.

Ken has been working very closely with Jack this week, announcing that this week he was going to really need to work hard on being positive. I think we are starting to see an improvement already.