Saturday, February 11, 2006

Falling in Love with Faith

The bond between mother and baby has been sealed. I can begin to feel Faith's pull on my heart strings. In a previous post, I mentioned how I love to look at my newborns and find all of their unique traits. After hours of nursing behind us, here are just a few of my favorites:

The fold on her ear... I discovered the fold on her right ear almost immediately after birth. It is just a tiny little dip at the tip of her one ear, as if she laid on it for a week in utero and it just stayed that way. Perhaps it will disappear as she grows older, but it is one of the many signs that earmark her as mine.

Her eyes... Her eyes will captivate you. Ken has mentioned the same feeling. They have the same mysterious Asian flair as her sister. When she opens them, there is a quiet force behind them that holds your gaze. If she is looking right at you, it is impossible to look away.

The sound she makes as she sleeps. Sleeping propped up on her back or scrunched up in the sling will generate an audible sigh with each exhale. Each sigh is different and holds the emotion of whatever dream she is involved in.

And those smiles... We are all waiting anxiously for the smile that dances across Faith's face with focused open eyes, but we have received plenty of ear to ear grins from Faith as she dances in her dreams. Those little nuggets of brightness are enough to dissolve any remote feelings of exhaustion.

It took me only two hours to miss her last night. Faith was tucked away for the evening at 9pm. At 11:00pm I was already going through her archived photos on my computer, just to see her face again.

The best part about falling in love with your children is there is nothing needed below to break your fall. You just keep falling...

No comments: