Monday, August 08, 2005

Finally School! Yippee!

Visit our Fish, Renoir & Beethoven blogs for more details about today.

Today was the day. I knew I would be awakened early:

"Mom. The playroom door is still locked."
"Eat your breakfast kids, it is laid out for you. We'll do school in a couple of hours."

An hour more of sleep, and I joined them with my coffee and glazed Krispy Kreme. I peeked out at the group of children and parents waiting a few doors down for the bus to take them to their first day of school. Almost 8:00, all of us still in our PJs enjoying the slow pace of the morning (dad still snoozing). Zero stress. That golden bit alone, is reason enough to homeschool.

I glanced at Grace kicked back on the floor watching the end of Swiss Family Robinson on video. She showed no interest in the school buses passing by. Jack and I, watched as the kids shuffled onto the bus, and drove past the house. They looked so young!

After coffee and a doughnut, it was off to the treadmill for the two mile walk and Bible Study on my iPod. Dad joined us down in the office, and kids played puzzles quietly. Still no rush. I'm sure the ease of our mornings will disappear again with the arrival of baby #3, but I've learned to enjoy it when you have it.

By 11:00am, we were all ready for school, and Dad joined us, as the kids finally got to break out the tuning forks and the scale/weight set.



The rest of the next couple of hours was filled with paper cutting and gluing, time puzzles, flower arranging, shoe lace tying, and shell identification, Renoir's memory game, and the completion of Holling's Seabird...(of which I had to choke back my own tears).

As I write, the kids are up from their weekly nap, and back at it with the activities. That's the other nice thing about homeschooling: while the kids never have homework, they have the option to return to their work whenever they please. Now if I could just locate me a janitor for after school.

No comments: