Friday, August 31, 2007

Here Comes Rubble

"It felt so good to have a day off today."

This coming from Mr. Incredible after nine hours behind either a sledge hammer, rototiller or a Bobcat. I am learning, that what my husband really wants to do in his free time is be a twenty first century gladiator. To destroy, or build, that is the question. I'm also learning he is really good at doing both.

Tom Builder has a full week with a rented Bobcat. What this guy can do with a Bobcat in thirty minutes is a wonder. On Wednesday evening, on my way to drop the kids off at AWANA, I drove between two gaudy fortress-like structures that buttress either side of our entrance to the property. Tom Builder and I have always disliked these things as they scream with their white stucco and lion topped heads "Welcome to the Fortress. Don't touch anything." We wanted our property to have a more inviting feel that matched our family's personality and said something more along the lines of "Welcome to our Home. Take a load off and stay awhile." Upon my quick return, I was greeted with "The Fall of Rome"...


The picture above was taken a day later, when most of the stucco and concrete had been transported by Bobcat to the second entrance to the property that goes down to the barn. Tom Builder's plan is to lay all of this rubble down on the farm road, crush it, and then pile pea gravel on top of it. Meanwhile, he spent the rest of the day yesterday, smoothing out the entrance with dirt so that he can start laying pallets and pallets of sod at the entrance today. Did I mention we are also getting our new carpet today?? Did I mention that we could be watching up to 4 additional dogs for a week beginning tomorrow? The next few days are going to be CRAZY!

But as long as Tom Builder has a smile on his face, and is so loopy about driving a Bobcat that he can act goofy with his hat...it is all worth it.

3 comments:

Family W said...

Wow, it looks like a beautiful drive. I love the trees! :)

randi said...

I could've written a post like this about my own hubby. He loves renting heavy machinery, although he tends to get into trouble with it occassionally. Once he took out the phone line and another time he broke the natural gas line which resulted in the fire department showing up with most of their vehicles. Then there was the time he almost drove a Bobcat into the pool.

I am writing this with a smile on my face and I am just hoping that our house doesn't need anymore excavating for a LONG time!

Mama Knucker Hatch said...

Randi, that is hysterical!!! (I'm sure more so, looking back on everything rather than in the moment itself.) I'm still grappling with the fact that Tom Builder and I are actually having conversations about PURCHASING a Bobcat. He still has a long way to go in that department, but his eyes glaze over when he dreams of owning such a powerful machine.