Monday, August 20, 2007

Airing Out The Dirty Laundry

I am always interested to know how other mothers manage their daily tasks. Whether you are sharing with me how many baths your kids get a week or I am sympathizing with the more mundane bathroom cleaning. There is this drive inside of me to be more efficient. More organized. It's a sickness really. But I constantly have my ears and eyes on the look out for tips and tricks used by other veteran managers of the home.

I thought I'd start a new series of weekly posts sharing how we at the Knucker Hatch home manage some of our "stuff". And in return, I'd love to hear from you, and how your day goes on these topics. Are you game?

Let's work from the bottom up: Mondays. I don't know about your house, but Mondays are the heart of the Mother-Lode work week here. Second only to Tuesdays. Mondays are all about the ever prevailing, never ending laundry. Other than the daily tasks that are required around the house, laundry management is my sole focus. It used to be that I followed the FlyLady's philosophy on laundry which required a load a day, but after trying that method for a year, I quite honestly grew tired of having to look at laundry every stinkin' day. Just give it to me square on for a full day, and let me be done with the entire ugly thing for the rest of the week.


I know my limitations on this however. And I have a two too many loads to do, to get things completed on Monday before I grow weary of the assembly line. Almost always, I never get that last load out of the dryer and it sits for a week. So to offset this pitfall, I usually start Sunday evening with two loads that require very little attention, or if I don't do Sunday evening, I'll save these loads for last: the table cloth and towels loads. That way, if they sit all week in a drier, no one cares if they are wrinkled, and there is no big loss. Or if I get them washed Sunday, they can sit over night in the drier until Monday when I throw the first clothes load in.

I will confess that with the new house we have two working laundry rooms. However, with 10 loads of laundry to do, it is still quite a project to tackle, requiring firm commitment to complete. For the extra nitty gritty details I'll share that I am a liquid Tide, Bounce drier sheet, Oxi-Clean stain removal user. TMI, I know.


What may make our house different than your own, is our closet management. This is something that I started after moving into our new house, and it has been one of the best changes in my life of laundry and closet management. I have often read how larger families have found it liberating to pool all of their clothes into one hanging closet. I wasn't sure I would like that idea, but I decided to give it a try when we moved to the farm house. We have a large walk in closet on the older side of the house, which is also the side we do all living in right now...aside from sleeping. There is room enough for my daily clothes and all of the children's clothes. The clothes are on low enough poles that the children can access their own, and we hang everything short of underwear and pants/shorts. Ken has his own closet in the master which still works well for him. Each child has their own PJ bin on the floor. High above, are storage bins of clothing and shoes sizes that are not in use.


Two things have resulted in using primarily one closet. First, I have more control over the daily mess that can occur in the closet, rather than being surprised with a trashed closet every week, and I can stay on top of the kid's habits better. (Mom's you know what I am talking about here.) Their rooms stay amazingly clean since all clothing and baskets reside in a closet on the other side of the house.

Secondly, when I put laundry away, I go to one closet. No more trips through three rooms to deposit all of the clothing. No more going to three different rooms when the kids need help with clothing selections or dressing. And the added bonus is all hangers and dirty laundry are in one location. Ahhh....consolidation.

We still use our dressers for winter clothing storage. But honestly, most of them are empty with the use of one closet. The extra closet space is used for other needed storage. I can tell you, that once I was over the "oddness" of using one closet, the entire concept was a dream.

So there you have it. My dirty laundry. Monday is laundry day at the Knucker Hatch house, we do it all in one day, and we use a one closet management system. How do you manage your laundry and clothing? And readers want to know...What is your laundry detergent formula?

7 comments:

THE ARNOLD FAMILY said...

i think the one closet idea is great.i dont use dressers much at all everyone has hangers and a closet of their own.i dont often use a dryer i just hang the clothes on their hangers and that takes care of drying and putting away. i must manage the laundry monster while homeschooling 5 boys ages 6,9,10,11&13.
claire

Family W said...

I loved this post! I admit I had never heard of using just one closet before. I can see where that would really work well in the 'keeping things neat' department, and I especially love the part about not running to three different rooms to pick up/drop off clothes. Unfortunately the only closet large enough to hold everyone's clothes in this house would be my supersized walk-in and I would have a very hard time getting my husband to agree to letting the boys clothes move in with ours. Which our boys are older, 12 and 11, so its not as big of a deal for them to have their own closet.

But, yes I was always trying to brainstorm ways of getting them to keep their dirty clothes picked up and their closets neat and organized, (I have that same sickness you mentioned!) Now I just have it posted on their bathroom door as part of their morning and evening routines. It's definitely easier now that they're older.

I know I'm rambling on, sorry! :) Can you tell my husband had to work late, and I've got extra time on the laptop since the kids are all in bed? :) Anyway, I think I will do a post on how I handle laundry and then I will link back to you, if that's ok? Oh, and I'll be sure to include the laundry detergent! :) BLessings, Lynn

Anonymous said...

I left a comment yesterday but don't see it--hopefully this is not a dupe! :-) Here are my thoughts on laundry (and I use whatever detergent and LIQUID softener is on sale (coupon helps too!)):

Mondays and Thursdays are my laundry days. The night before, I sort it all (I have the kids bring theirs down to me). Then I put the first load in so it's all ready in the morning and all I have to do is turn it on. Ideally, I like to fold and sort (yes, sort again) as it comes out of the dryer lest it be in danger of sitting in the laundry basket until the next laundry day.

And then I put away...and yes, I put away to five different closets (the boys share one). We recently turned our sitting room into dh's closet/gym. We have outfitted all of our closets with the closetmaid stuff from Lowe's (with the exception of the boys' closet which has wire racking). We LOVE the closetmaid stuff--no dressers in our rooms!

So there's my dirty laundry! :-)

Mama Knucker Hatch said...

Thanks for the awesome feedback gals! I love it. :)

Claire: I don't know if I could go drier-less. I am queen of fabric sheets often throwing in two at a time for extra good smells and super softness. I think that is another sickness of mine! FIVE in school at once! I'm in awe.

Lynn: Link away. I want details, details, details! And I completely understand snuggling up to a warm laptop when the main squeeze is out late for the night.

Katy: Closetmaid rules. We've got the white pressboard stuff in our closets, but I always drool over the cherry wood looking set ups. It tickles me to see advertisements for closet organizers with all of the wooden hangers spaced exactly 3 inches apart, and everything color coordinated to perfection. So unrealistic, and quite honestly if we walked into a closet like that in person we'd think our friend had deep seated psychological issues, but we ladies still eat that advertising up.

K. Reyes said...

I wish I could say that I had a real system. I am trying to implement myself a real life schedule to embark on this fall, though I seem to be thwarted in every attempt, especially now as potty-training has commenced. Success comes one day at a time, followed by entire days of soggy Elmo underwear and surprise puddles on my tile floor.
My real dilemma is how to convince my husband that the LIVING ROOM is NOT his closet!!!
Kudos to you all how have your systems in place! Once our house finally sells I now have a new requirement for our new house: a BIG walk in closet. Love that idea!

Anonymous said...

Interesting! I enjoy your blog...remember me...Mary Brooke in Atlanta? We are planning on starting Ambleside Online in another YEAR! Our oldest is only 5! We have been reading about God's blessing in children and are praying for faithful obedience..I remember you reading about the same...The Bayly Blog (2 PCA ministers) have some amazing biblical principles. Nancy Campbell's teaching is a bit hard to swallow for us. Well that's a lot! Congratulations and most importantly prayers for little Hope! Mary Brooke in Atlanta

Mama Knucker Hatch said...

Hi Mary Brooke!

I knew your name looked familiar, and I was trying to recall why it was so familiar to me. It's so good to hear you are doing well and about to embark upon the exciting homeschooling journey. We have really appreciated the Ambleside route. On the kiddo side, we are taking them one blessing at a time!