Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Bible Thumping

When it comes to Bibles, I'll be the first to admit that I am a complete dork. But really, can you ever have enough Bibles? I love old ones, new ones, those filled to the brim with study notes, slim lines, wide margins, etc. Between Mr. Incredible (who is moving toward my dork side) and myself, our Bible stash might lead one to believe we were seminary graduates. Which we are NOT. So I hide them and the numerous volumes of study companions, shy a few, behind closed cabinet doors to avoid drawing attention to the obvious dorkdom in this house.

But when this arrived on my doorstep yesterday, I couldn't help but embrace my dorkiness for a moment:


When coffee recently spilled on my favorite compact Bible, sealing all of Genesis until the end of time, which is completely unacceptable, my first thought was..."It's Bible time!" It didn't matter that Mr. Incredible offered up one of his exact same Bibles for adoption. The itch needed to be scratched.

I went from my tiny purse sized NASB to a mammoth yogurt carton sized parallel Bible containing NASB, NIV, KJV, and the Amplified version. And then counted the days until it arrived. Drop this thing on the coffee table and Richter scales around the world are displaced. I'm only hoping that the Bible cover I have coming to ehm...conceal my neon nerd sign...will cover this big boy.

8 comments:

THE ARNOLD FAMILY said...

we found an awesome gigantic kjv bible in a thrift shop a few weeks ago it has a place for family tree,weddings,deaths,etc.and beautifully illustrated pictures.
claire

Kathleen said...

I don't think a love of God's Word--no matter what size, translation, or color it comes in--is dorky. And I think God is tickled pink and that "Dork" is the last word He would think of labeling you! :-)

My latest Bible acquisition is the Archaeological Bible. With my newfound fascination and love for history (found by teaching it since I never learned it well in school), this Bible is in itself fascinating!

Would you like a copy of the Bible in Black Bobo to add to your collection? One of the many crowning accomplishments of my in-laws in their missionary career is that they translated the Bible into Black Bobo, a language that had never before even been written!

Family W said...

Too funny. I love your writing style. And I also love the NASB but right now I am using the ESV.

We have a lot of bibles, but it sounds like you may have us beat in this department. :) (oh and you're so smart to use the yogurt to show the size of the bible. Creative!)

Anonymous said...

OK - well, this is a duplicate--just wanted you to know it's little ol' me thinkin' about you, and now I'm the dork because I didn't sign my name to my comment! :-)....

I don't think a love of God's Word--no matter what size, translation, or color it comes in--is dorky. And I think God is tickled pink and that "Dork" is the last word He would think of labeling you! :-)

My latest Bible acquisition is the Archaeological Bible. With my newfound fascination and love for history (found by teaching it since I never learned it well in school), this Bible is in itself fascinating!

Would you like a copy of the Bible in Black Bobo to add to your collection? One of the many crowning accomplishments of my in-laws in their missionary career is that they translated the Bible into Black Bobo, a language that had never before even been written!

Kristi said...

There is nothing dorky at all about a love for the Bible! If there is, then count me in the club, alos :). My most recent is a pretty pink ESV that my husband gave me for Christmas. I love it!

Mama Knucker Hatch said...

You guys are so sweet. I know there is nothing wrong with having a love for The Word. I do wish I was as disciplined at memorizing it as I am at having it in every room of the house.

It was a toss up between the Archaeological Bible and this one. I practically minored in archeology in college. But when Tom Builder mentioned he wanted that one next, I went for the parallel.

Katy, I've got to talk to you more about the Black Bobo Bible. What an amazing accomplishment!

Tammy said...

Ohhh, I love my comparative study Bible! They may be big and clunky, but are so helpful when looking up verses and getting a deeper, richer meaning.

My next *someday* Bible search is for a Hebrew-Greek key word study Bible, but I can't decide what version I want it in.

Enjoy!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Anonymous said...

Great post! Inspiring! I have been laughing with my husband about a conversation I've been having with a friend from church...debating using the KJV versus the ESV for the childrens' memory verses, readings, etc. (and for our own, we all do the same). If I mentioned that to *most* people I can just imagine the blank look I would get. Mary Brooke