Monday, August 13, 2007

What's Under The Hood

Retreat! Retreat! There are times when a woman needs to crawl inside herself for a couple of days and inspect the engine...so to speak. I can't tell you the last time I've ditched the responsibilities of home in order to attend an all-girl, all God, sleepover weekend. All I know is that I was in need of a tune up. We're talking 1,100,198 life miles beyond the date of service due.


This past weekend, was a fabulous treat! A number of gals from my Women's study group got together to attend the Women of Faith Conference in Atlanta including an all day Pre-Conference event with none other than Beth Moore herself. She was outstanding. {sigh} I've packed at least six of her life changing studies into the last four years of my life, and it was a privilege to listen to her speak in person. Once you do one of Beth Moore's intensive studies you'll never look at Bible Study the same again. She has certainly become the most influential teacher in my life.

After getting a complete soaking in the Word among godly women for 48 hours, my insides were utter mush. I was more than pumped up to experience another event of a lifetime...the tangible end results of a 3 year church building campaign. On Sunday, our church moved into a new facility that blows the socks off our old campus. I've never been a part of something that took three years to plan and contribute towards.

If it wasn't for a mailed flyer and a year long unsuccessful search for a church six years ago, I never would have entered our old building for worship. I didn't realize it until we were pulling into the parking lot for the first time on Easter Sunday, that my own stereotypes regarding what a church should look like had kept me at a distance. I had passed by this church numerous times. But what lay tucked underneath the hood of that bland exterior was the very treasure we had been searching to find. I often wonder how many others have driven past our church and dismissed its worth on exterior alone. And how often I've done the same with people.

We have memories at the old building. We experienced real spiritual growth within those walls. We came to know and appreciate the need for a church family in our lives. We've built more friendships in that place than in all other places put together. Tom Builder and I were stretched beyond our comfort zones into areas of leadership and participation. So I suppose I shouldn't have been too surprised to find my own face awash in salty tears on our last day there.


On Sunday, our family walked into a church that would have captured my eye. I would have given it the chance it deserved a long time ago. All I could do was raise my hands in praise during worship, and thank the Lord for the extra kick in the pants I needed to get my tail to squish through the doors of a much duller structure six years ago. How much I would have missed. How little I would have been stretched. How much more ready I am now to be on the inside of those new doors looking out, waiting for an unfamiliar face to walk in and meet the body of Christ.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you were able to get away! You deserve it! I did Women of Faith last year, and it was great!

Family W said...

I've only been to one Women of Faith conference and it was for married couples. They only did those for one year I think and then stopped because they didn't get the desired response. Personally I LOVED it and so did my husband! It was one of the better one's we've been to. Anyway, It sounds great, and I could definitely use a retreat right about now! I love the pictures!! Blessings, Lynn.