Thursday, June 29, 2006

The Dog Days of Summer

How many tears can one shed over a family dog? Our ol' girl is in such a bad way. Her bounce back over chicken has gone and left. And we've tried to pull her out of what appears to be a dark depression. We're back to vomiting, not eating a lick, and the tremors. This morning, she lost control of her bladder.

Her eyes tell me she's ready to begin her walk toward Glory. I'm not so sure I'm ready for it though. I wish I knew how to help her. How to best comfort her as she prepares for this journey. For some reason we've been kept in the dark on what ails her so, since all of the tests came back showing nothing. This would be slightly easier if I knew she was riddled with disease.

I've prayed over her, spent hours at her side, and asked the good Lord above to shower her with His warm lovingkindness and gently take her home. It is so hard to pray that kind of prayer. The miracle believer in me still holds a white knuckle grip on faith that the Lord will restore her back to health if it is His will. The very idea of euthanizing her is paralyzing. The last thing I want to do is drag her once more to the vet to lay in a cold sterile unfamiliar room. I want her to be surrounded by the warmth of home. Both sides of the coin feel cruel.

The tears just keep flowing fresh...
This is definitely not an eye makeup day. Blah.

1 comment:

Mama Knucker Hatch said...

One Sided said...

It is never, never easy to know that good-by is coming. Grief is the measure of our love.
For you and yours I pray for a comfort and peace that only our Father can place in hearts.

This comment was moved by MKH from the In This Corner blog during The Great Blog Merge of 2007.