Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Whoopee! Our First Farm Produce.


This frosty morning after breakfast, Sir Bugga-Lot decided that he was going to check the chicken coop for an egg. Lately the chickens have been squatting when we approach which is a sign that they are maturing nicely. For some reason, I decided to give him a pre-egg hunting pep talk, telling him that more than likely the chickens will not lay their first eggs in the nest boxes, and to look carefully on the floor of the coop.

Tom Builder and I watched amused as he came running back with an excited look on his face talking very animated to Grace who had gone out to the coop after him. They started running back up to the house with giant smiles on their faces. And then I realized, Jack was holding something in his fist as he ran back up the hill. And I got very Egg-cited! Our first beautiful brown egg, found on the floor of the coop, more than likely courtesy of our Speckled Sussex "Sugar" or our giant Plymouth Rock "Mother Goose". It is a valiant first effort from whomever, since it is not too much smaller than a large egg from the grocery store.


Now the hard part...I can't get Sir Bugga-Lot to let me, as he puts in his words, "roast it".

Update! This just in from Knucker Hatch Farms. Another egg has been laid to make our first collection a two egger! This time, Grace spotted the layer hanging out between the two nest boxes, a favorite chicken from the beginning, our ever curious super flier "Ginger". Folks, we have an official breath taking Ameraucana blue-green egg.

I know it's going to probably sound silly to the rest of you, but I don't care, these eggs are gorgeous. The shells are works of art. There is something about holding an egg that is still warm from the chicken you've raised since Day 1. What I used to look at simply as a means to an end in my cooking, is now a real object of beauty.

4 comments:

Promise Christian Academy said...

Wonderful, wonderful! I feel silly being excited about an egg, but I am for you anyway!
Hilda Rebecca

Anonymous said...

You best "roast" it eventually lest Sir Bugga-Lot shares with you a Templeton experience!

Stacy said...

I feel the same way about our chickens' eggs. Love them. Especially when they're warm from those nesting boxes! :)

~Stacy

Nana said...

Wow!! I'm "eggsited" too. My daughter the chicken farmer has her first eggs. And what big eggs they are. I have never seen eggs that big. Just look at the size of them compared to the towering trees. Even the Easter bunny can't top that and that's no "yolk". Ok, I'll stop now.