Monday, November 26, 2007

What A Bulletin Board Is Good For

About three weeks ago, I was in a homeschooling slump. Its not that I was tired of homeschooling or that the kids were complaining of boredom. Perhaps it was the onset of fall. Maybe it was the Hungarian video I saw for teaching children math (don't ask). Maybe it was that simply couldn't fit one more piece of artwork onto our fridge. Whatever the case, I decided that I needed a bulletin board. A big bulletin board like schools have, where the teachers decorate it and display the children's work. With themes that work around the calendar and fun little doo-dads.

I hadn't bought a thing all year for school that was "fun", so I thought "Why not?". I know that Tom Builder when he saw the box it was in was thinking, "WHY??".


But you know what? This bulletin board has been terrific. It has added a bit of interaction this month that has been lacking. For the last two weeks we've been adding leaves to the board (parents and children), with each leaf describing something we are thankful for. It has been a neat process to see what everyone finds themselves thankful for that day. Everything from "Food", to "The Troops", to "Modern Medicine" to "Schoole" (love the irony on the last one).


This board is gigantic, which makes for a gargantuan box. What do kids love to play with? Boxes. And so, during our Thanksgiving Break, the children have used the box to sleep under as a tent. Because, that is simply the natural order of children and boxes.

3 comments:

Promise Christian Academy said...

I was just thinking a bulletin board would be fun. I like to bring the things that were good memories of my public school days into my homeschool... mostly lunch and recess, but a bulletin board is a good one, too. We use school desks just for the fun of it and I have a teacher's desk. I even have a hall pass, but it is just a conversation piece:0)
Hilda Rebecca

K. Reyes said...

Great work! Whenever God sees it fit to finally sell our house, our new one is destined for a bulletin board wall. Yes, it certainly gets one in an interactive and festive school mode. I don't have any great teacher stores near me, but I always watch Oriental Trading Co. online for nifty school decor themes and crafty ideas. Love it! Hopefully we can establish ourselves soon and let our own little home school environment blossom:)

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!