Thursday, November 15, 2007

Lay-Low and Stitch

My blogging is all backed up. I have a blogging traffic jam going on in my head. I haven't touched on either of the children's birthdays, Hope's birth story or a zillion other little things I blog to remember.

However, it is much easier to recall things that happened yesterday than things that happened a month ago. So I'll start with yesterday and hope I can eventually make my way backward. Yesterday, was one of those days I haven't had in a long time, where I felt like the day was falling into place very well. The kids were happily engaged in their school work, Faith and I were having some sweet time together, and Hope was taking on the challenge swimmingly of being seen and not heard. I thought the day was going so well, that we would tackle a mid week shower with Jack starting first.

Thirty minutes later, after much soap and froth, the water turned off. Grace and I were working on Spanish when we heard a giant thud. One of those thuds that you know is not a typical child induced thud. While getting out of the shower, Jack had completely wiped out, breaking his fall with his chin. Surprisingly there was very little blood, but close inspection immediately revealed we would be making our first trip to the ER. While Jack was still standing in the shower, I made the mistake of saying out loud that we would need to go to the hospital. The gash was gaping, and almost a full inch long. Bubba's eyes got big as saucers upon hearing this news, and like a mouse who forgets he is trapped in a box, he wigged out, completely wiping out in the shower again.

Thankfully, Daddy could come home in time to watch the two odd children while I headed out with the evens. We'd been doing some prepping with Jack trying to be truthful about what he could expect. Both of us thinking he would have to endure a numbing shot before stitches, and I recalling just how horribly loud the reaction was to his last shot. Daddy did his best to make Jack-o feel like he had just walked through a rite of passage for all young boys, welcoming him to the "Stitch Club". Our truth with encouragement kind of worked, but Sir Bugga-Lot's big blue eyes would still well up with tears as he imagined the task ahead of him.

All I can say is Thank You LORD for modern medicine AND for Children's ERs. We had a more pleasant experience at the ER than we typically do at our pediatrician. Really remarkable. Jack and I were both relieved to hear that he would not need a numbing shot. Instead, now they have this magic jelly that after 30 minutes on the laceration, numbs it up painlessly. Seven stitches, half a movie, and one Popsicle later, we waltzed out of there. He was a well mannered champ the whole time. (And so was #4.)


I do think we will be cutting back on the free reign of soap with Sir Bugga-Lot in the future.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I didn't believe the brave boy last night when he said he didn't have to have a shot!! I just thought they had sprayed him with numbing stuff and THEN given him the shot! He really was a trooper last night at Awana--seemed to grow a bit weary of EVERYONE asking what had happened, but looked like it hadn't fazed his day a bit (I kept thinking this probably wasn't true with Mom, however!).

Family W said...

what an ordeal... we've made our runs to the ER, for some reason that seems to go with having boys, whether they're doing something brave and daring (aka really really dangerous) or not. I hope it heals quickly. It sounds like he did such a great job holding it together for the Dr.s. God Bless! :)

Nana said...

Congratulations Jack! You have indeed joined a long line of relatives who have spent time many hours being stitched up in the ER. Both your Uncle Christian and your Uncle Jeff split their heads open at the age of about two. They both loved to run naked after their baths and ran head long into the corner of the coffee table. Must be something about getting wet. Your mother split her chin open when she was pulled down by a 150 lb. Newfoundland that decided the rabbit in his sight looked pretty tasty and took her with him when he gave chase. Both Jeff and Christian were strapped to a papoose board and DID have to endure some injections. I bet Uncle Christian can show you his scar near his hair line. I am glad you didn't break a bone.

Mama Knucker Hatch said...

Both uncles dropped by the house this weekend, and there were high fives all around for scars and stitches. Between, Tom Builder and the the boys there were lots of war stories. :)

Ah, yes Mom...walking the giant Newfoundland in dress flats. Good times. I probably should have got a stitch or two on that one.

The wound is healing nicely!