Monday, September 10, 2007

Yesterday I Turned Five

Because when it is your 34th birthday, the rule is you get to pick any age you want to be for that year. I decided, I would be five again. The Queen's Grace asked her mother, "Is that the law?". Of which I promptly replied, "Yes, it is sweetie."

Originally, I had decided I wanted to be nineteen again. And since Daddy had turned thirty-four this year too, the children wanted to know what age he picked...naturally the grown man picked the blessed age of retirement, sixty-five. After some thought, it seemed wise to claim another, less believable, age for myself, in case the kids went around spreading the news that their Daddy was 65 and their mother was 19.

I had a lovely birthday on Sunday, in which, I chose to do absolutely nothing. I sat on my tail, on a couch for half of the day, and it felt great. Daddy changed two messy diapers yesterday, made our dinner, and together the kids and Dad baked a fresh cake complete with sprinkles and bonfire equipment. While I sat on my duff, enjoying my new tender age of five.

Had I not been also celebrating one month left of pregnancy, I might have been a more exciting birthday girl. But since roller coasters, beautiful hikes through the wilderness, and go cart racing were out of the question, I went for the "sit on the couch and watch some long missed football" option. My Fantasy Football husband, could hardly conceal his agreement in this decision. The evening was filled with invented party games like who could keep their party horn unfurled the longest with one breath.

Just when you think getting older isn't exciting anymore, your kids and husband remind you that they still think having a birthday is pretty special. From morning till evening they plot little surprises and whisper secrets. And even when you choose not to, they count down the days for you, until your big birthday day. There is a sweetness in that love, that exceeds all of the cake and ice cream one pregnant thirty-four year old can eat.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

From one five-year-old to another...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Promise Christian Academy said...

Happy Birthday! :0) I actually purchased a 2 and a 9 candle to use for a few years! When I look too old to even think about 29, I will turn them around to 92! He He He
Hilda Rebecca

imagoii said...

Happy Birthday! Glad it was a good one :)

Family W said...

Happy Birthday! :) It looks and sounds like you had a great time celebrating! Blessings to you and your last month of pregnancy. :)

K. Reyes said...

Happy (belated) Birthday! Not to make you feel any older, but little miss Katie Jean just started a new blog you will have to check out: http://www.fugifamily.blogspot.com/
Your baby cousins are having babies! But my how cute those babies are! :) It will warm your heart! Looking forward to celebrating Hope's birthday too- blessings to you on the final countdown. And, Ahem, lets see that adorable baby belly on this blog!!!!!!!
Love, Kateri