Wednesday, September 26, 2007

A Shower of Blessings

Yesterday, I hit a wall. Quite simply, I just felt like crud. My allergies were bad, while hot flashes, and a scratchy throat added to the uncomfortableness of my rotunda-ness. I had to prepare for leading my Women's Bible Study over the next two hours, despite my exhaustion and overwhelming desire to lay down. All of the voices inside my head were having a lovely pity party. The voices are familiar, and I know my weaknesses reveal themselves at about this week in my pregnancy. Knowing that it is not uncommon to hit that emotional and physical wall helps, but it doesn't remove the cruddy consuming feeling.

A couple of hours before Bible Study, I received a phone message from another leader stating that our study would be delayed a bit due to the church building being sprayed with insecticides. After an emergency order of pizza (I just couldn't do the grocery shopping that day), I headed into church. Feeling a bit better on a full stomach, I waddled into the building, praying that the smell of pesticides wouldn't knock me to the floor. A few deep breathes with my super sensitive prego nose, proved I was safe from sensory overload. I was surprised that I couldn't detect any chemical smells. Rounding the corner to meet the girls, my eyes quickly fell on the stacks of bags and pink tissue paper, along with all of the Women's Group surrounding an amazing spread of food. They all shouted a sweet, "Surprise!". I had been completely duped with the insecticide set up.


When you're on your fourth little one, you expect to have walked into the "Automatic Shower Exemption" zone. Especially when you were thrown a shower just less than two years ago, by the same group of ladies. I was completely surprised. After all of my preparation for the day, we never cracked open our books to review the week's lesson. Instead, I opened blessing after blessing for my little Hope. Some of them, homemade and knitted with love, works still in progress.

While I left the church that evening still feeling sluggish and yucky, my heart was at a full swell. And I was also entirely humbled. The Lord led me to this particular group of ladies four years ago. They have had such an immeasurable impact on my life. Rather than bringing me into an inner circle of my peers, He led me to a group of beautiful women beyond their childbearing years, with decades of God and womanhood under their belt. I have been soaking up their wisdom and experiences ever since. What a privilege it has been to grow and glean from the cream of His crop.

3 comments:

Kate said...

I bet you felt wonderful after all of that! I so enjoy hearing when a lady is shown that her baby is important no matter what number it is (that coming from a mother of six).

We started a new rule a few years back in our church. Every baby gets a shower. The shower is for the mom to be prayed for (for her upcoming delivery and the raising of the child), supported, given advice, etc. The focus is not the presents- although they are given- but more to show that there are other women in the church who are there for you.

Family W said...

I think a shower for every baby is a GREAT way to honor a mom AND baby. Every baby is just as equally a blessing! I'm so glad you are a part of a great fellowship of 'older women'. All of us girls need those wise Titus II ladies speaking into our lives.

Mama Knucker Hatch said...

I completely agree with you two. It is so reassuring to me as a mother to know that I am surrounded by a church family that celebrates the fourth child just as heartily as the first. You don't always find that kind of warm reception from the larger public. And my Titus II ladies are the bomb!