Monday, September 24, 2007

Fasting From Groceries

Grace in the middle of her nightly prayer: "...and I pray that You would help me choose something to eat tomorrow, because we have no food left..."

Guilty as charged.
Behold, my fridge's mugshot.



Who says you can't sustain a family of five on frosting, a lemon, two onions, a bag of bagels, and diet Coke? And with a stack of cheese slices, the possibilities are endless! Tonight was "Finish It Monday". In other words, dinner is what is left in the freezer: Taquitos, Fish Sticks, Tater Tots, Peas and Rice. There is nothing quite like ketchup and sour cream on the same plate - let me tell you.

Truthfully, the thought of walking down aisles of groceries, pushing one of those mammoth carts with three kids inside, followed by a pelvis that I swear is being held together by a trembling strand or two of remaining muscle, makes me want to run to the fridge for a spoon full of frosting. Really, I think we could make it just a few more days on the corn, eggs, and bagels. Did I mention the 10 stale boxes of cereal? The cereal, peanut butter and Crystal Light packets buy me at least another week.

6 comments:

Leslee said...

You are a truly talented woman...I have read your blog since The princess of wales has been around, and I must say...You need to write for a magazine or something!! You are truly a HILARIOUS woman!! Hang in there!! You are almost there!! Do you have a store there that does delivery???

Kate said...

I completely agree with you. Try for one more trip- without kids if possible and stock up on *everything*. Then, very kindly let you dh know that if anything else is needed between now and when the baby is two weeks old, he is in charge of getting it!

Anonymous said...

This just tickles me...I had to laugh outloud when I read this. I love dear Grace's brutal honesty during her prayer time! I'm sure God got a chuckle too!

Christina said...

LOL, mine looks like that so often!!

Family W said...

This is just too doggone funny..... but yet so very true to life. And I agree with the first comment-er, you are very talented. Your blog entries are so well written! :) Blessings to you! Lynn

Mama Knucker Hatch said...

I'm so glad you all found the humor in that post and didn't threaten to turn me over to social services!