Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Great Dane

So I haven't told you about my experiences yet with our neighbor's dogs on our property. This is a doozy.

It started out with just a rapidly beating heart as the children and I were on a walk around the land one day. We were close to home, and well on the property. Our trusty, friendly dog, Hatch was also with us. When the ugliest dog I have ever seen, an old tumor ridden mangy hunting dog, trotted down the lane toward us, woofing along the way. I was paralyzed as I watched with trepidation Hatch head out to greet the dog. There is that moment when dogs stand nose to nose with tails up and stiff that you know things could go either way. Faith was wrapped on my back and the children were beside me, and I had this moment of sudden surrender as I knew if the dog didn't get the right vibe from smaller Hatch, he would be the least likely candidate to win the dog fight. And I would not be stepping in to help. But thankfully, they decided that neither one was a threat, and they made friends. That was the first dog.

Two days later, as we were piling out of the van, and getting ready to go inside the house for schooling that morning, I happened to turn around as I was getting Faith out of the car seat. My heart dived into the pit of my stomach, as my eyes tried to make sense of what was before me. A Great Dane staring us down less than 10 yards away.

A GREAT DANE.

Hatch was climbing out of the car, but the Dane was so still that Hatch thankfully didn't see him. I hurried everyone immediately into the house.

Houston, we have a problem.

I call the Great Dane - Ghost. Ghost is stealthy, quiet, and amazingly quick. You don't know he is there, until HE IS THERE. And he is bigger than life (as all Great Danes are). Ghost is a problem. Hatch, does not like Ghost. Ghost does not like Hatch. Hatch never growls, but Hatch growls at Ghost when he suddenly appears on the property. Worse, Ghost growls at Hatch. Once Jack opened the door to go outside, and instantly turned tail white faced in time for me to see Ghost 5 yards from the door, head low, growling at Hatch who instantly was at Jack's side growling back. Sometimes it feels like we are in some bizarre horror flick. None of us like the idea of the jaws of death sauntering around the land unchecked.

Yesterday, confirmed that fear. I was heading out to the bunny pen to feed our almost newly inherited bunny. The bunny was left by the previous owner, and word on the land was she would most likely be leaving it with us forever. The previous owners have a reputation for unfinished business. Which was great news for our family, since I am a rabbit fanatic, who has had to be reformed after my marriage to Tom Builder. No more college bunnies. But now was my chance to give my children the bunny sickness. We were all looking forward to taking care of Casey. In fact, we were planning to rescue Casey from her outdoor cage, and give her a much bigger run or the safety of a small enclosed shed to roam in with a few other friends. A Bun-Bun House. The future was looking bright for Casey.

Until the Great Dane decided to spend the night of Easter terrorizing Casey as his jaws of death chewed through the wire bottom underneath the lifted cage. He chewed a 12 inch round hole in the bottom of the cage, and seized the rabbit (who quickly became no more). Dead Casey was dropped upon the driveway of his owners as a trophy. After a phone call to Pam (the bunny owner) we have since learned that this is the THIRD bunny who has met this same fate with the Great Dane. Rumor is, the owners have four Great Danes. I don't know who I'm madder at...the Great Dane owners, or Pam. So Tom Builder and I spent yesterday evening discussing our options. One thing was made clear, as we were still hanging out on the farm that afternoon. If the kids saw the Great Dane, they were to tell Mr. Incredible immediately.

And then Ghost came. We were in the house, and we watched as he glided down the long driveway and came right up to the porch. Tom Builder was summoned. And we all stood nose to window as we watched wide eyed at the scene before us. Mr. Incredible opened the door and stepped outside, grabbing two large sticks with pink pony heads attached to the top of them (junk still sitting on the porch from the previous owners.). Yes...you can start laughing.

Mr. Incredible in his nice slacks and handsome shirt brandished two pink ponies at Ghost shouting GIT!. For a moment, the dog cocked his head, as if to say, Who is this Pink Pony Ninja?. But then Mr. Incredible made it clear that he meant business. He chased the giant dog off the property, slinging a pink pony at the dog, and running with the wind blowing in his hair after the fleeing Dane with the remaining pink pony. OH I WISH I HAD MY VIDEO CAMERA. All of us were laughing hysterically and quite relieved that Ghost hadn't decided to challenge Mr. Incredible. Even Tom Builder, when he realized what he had grabbed for weapons, had a sheepish grin on his face.

But today, we will be guarding our property with something more accurate than a pink pony. The bee-bee gun from Tom Builder's glory days is cocked and loaded. Personally, I'd rather watch the Pink Pony Ninja in action again. Pink ponies, or bee-bee guns, we realize we do have a serious problem that needs addressing.

5 comments:

K. Reyes said...

Whoa- scary stuff that! My parents went through a similar thing last year and we dealt with it more than once on our various farms when I was younger. Bottom line, its time to meet your neighbors (hopefully they are not as intimidating as their dogs!) But Tom Builder needs to lay down the law: you have small children & livestock and the Danes are unwelcome visitors & mischeif makers. Spell out a clear warning: keep the dogs on their side of the fence or you'll call animal control, or the police or both. I know its no fun to get to know your neighbors this way, but certainly its better than a child getting hurt someday! I know until this is solved it will be hard to have the peace of mind your 12 acres should afford you as the kids romp around outside, so take action; no sense in living on the promised land if you have to look over your shoulder 24/7!

Nana said...

I have to agree with the above comment and I also think the bee-bee gun will make more of an impact on the dog than a crazed Mr. Incredible threatening him with pink ponies. Dogs often attack any small child or animal that is running or darting around the yard. You have to think of those little ones out playing. He could go after one of them and I tremble to think of what a dog that size could do. There have been incidents in St. Louis of kids being killed or mamed by dogs smaller than a Great Dane. If you talk to the neighbors and make clear your fears and they still don't keep the dogs off your property, then call Animal Control and don't feel guilty about protecting your animals or property.

Anonymous said...

If only you had a video camera, you might have been $10,000 richer.

But seriously ... you may need more than a BB gun. We've had to shoot dogs, bobcats, etc.. out on my grandparents' property. Once they get it into their heads they are going to do something (eat a rabbit, attack a child), they are a force to be reckoned with.

Is there no animal control? How does he roam freely?

Mama Knucker Hatch said...

Mother of Mayhem: You're absolutely and totally right. We will be having a talk with the neighbors. And I COMPLETELY cringe when I think of how this is going to be a horrible way to meet the neighbors. My husband is really good at this stuff...he is a natural when it comes to using words in difficult situations. So of course my line is, "We need to talk to the neighbors, but YOU do it. I'll just try and look very with child and hold the baby. Barefoot. With a gun at my side. And I'll bring muffins."

Nana: Don't worry. I've been practicing with the bee-bee gun. She's ready to go at a moment's notice. Nothing messes with my babies. Animal control is an option.

OMSH:Need more than a BB gun? We're fully equipped in this house. We're one of those Republicans. :) It doesn't help that my brother is a police officer and encourages Tom Builder's small but growing collection.

I'm looking into the laws around here. But we are in the middle of suburbia (despite our acreage). So things probably should be more strict than po-dunk counties.



We did receive sound advice from a good friend who ironically is a Great Dane owner. He said, every time they come on the property, call them to the garage, close the door, and tell the neighbors they need to come get their dogs. AND DO IT EVERY TIME. Might get old after awhile. Especially since it happens three times a day.

K. Reyes said...

I LOVE the lock the dog in the garge trick! Yeah, I never thought of that approach...the neighbors will get real tired real quick, and probably take care of the problem sooner than later. Of course that is if you have a safe and effiecient way of luring the dog in the garge w/o you getting in harm's way!