Saturday, March 03, 2007

Number Four

Being that our pint sized pressure cooking peanut doesn't have a nick name as of yet, the little one continues to simply be "Number Four". So this morning, while mulling over the great mysteries of the earth over yogurt and coffee (and number three hanging on my knee), I wondered if there was any biblical significance to the number four. After doing some research, I felt much better about the handle "Number Four". Here is what I found:

"The Number 4 is thought to represent Gods absolute control over the world.

4 Directions on the earth (north, south, east, and west).
4 Seasons (summer, autumn, winter, and spring).
4 Things that make up the universe (time, energy, space, and matter).
4 Major provisions for man (earth, air, fire, and water).
4 Divisions of the day (morning, noon, evening, and midnight).
4 Winds (Matt 24:31)

Four seems to represent cosmic order, as in the four phases of the moon, the four cardinal points of the earth, the four rivers of Paradise (Genesis 2:10), the four winds of heaven Jeremiah 49:36), the four guardians of the throne of God, and so forth.

But the number four can also represent God bringing disorder for example, the Four Horsemen who bring calamity on the earth (Revelation 6:1-8) and the four acts of Judgment (sword, famine, evil beasts, and pestilence) with which God condemns the idolators of Jerusalem (Ezekiel 14:21)."

Excerpt from Bible-History.com


No one can argue that the Lord has proven himself in full control of this family with the introduction of Number Four. And I'm sure adding Number Four will add more disorder! But it is comforting to know that by having Number Four we will have achieved the heights of cosmic order.

For some reason, after Faith, I had this feeling that the Lord had plans to use me in other directions. I had worked it in my mind that He would press the pause button on our growing family for awhile. I don't know why I thought that. It was not a deep seated desire of mine. But Faith has required so much of my time and attention, keeping me from using other spiritual gifts, that I thought He would want to stretch a few muscles that hadn't been stretched in awhile.


At almost 9 weeks, the pregnancy has been going wonderfully. We had our first ultrasound last Tuesday, and what a relief it was to see the white pulsating heart of Number Four on the screen! The insomnia is mostly behind me, and the crazy dreams that accompany my pregnancies are in full gear. The nausea that I had with Faith in the first trimester, is present again, and of course the fatigue, and the incessant hunger. What a juggling act those three issues can be!

Any mother with three children knows that "naps" don't happen on a three child schedule -- especially in a homeschooling household. So I army crawl through my day. What keeps me going is the knowledge that all of this passes, and I should be feeling much better in a few more weeks when everything evens out. I just pray that the Lord spares my pelvis the pressure that I began experiencing with Faith at five months. Mercies on that one please!!

And so, Number Four is the picture of health. I'd be avoiding the truth if I didn't say that I really hope this child is a floor potato. Is that a horrible thing to say? By floor potato, I mean the child that loves to study the details, flipping a toy over and over again in his hands, making hundreds of mental notes. Faith set the bar for difficulty. Floor potato she is not...being Mama's back potato, lap potato or face potato she's really good at. If this one isn't a floor potato, happy to entertain himself in even half hour increments, I will be stretching muscles that are already so stretched they won't snap back into place.

O'Lord, please send me a brilliant floor potato! And if it is not your will, remember that new body you've promised to keep on hold for me. May I be so bold as to ask if it is available for an early release date on earth? I'd be more than willing to be your humble servant and try out a beta version. Not that there would be any glitches...

...maybe a floor potato might be easier.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congratulations! What great news. May you have an easy pregnancy and a floor potato at the end.