Thursday, October 12, 2006

Mouse Trap

It came to our attention a few weeks ago, that we just might have a new roommate in our basement. Little mouse droppings were the first sign. A clever little mouse he was...sneaking up an entire flight of stairs to raid Hatch's food dish, or the pantry, and then leaving a trail of droppings behind him (in case he forgot where the buffet was located).

Having a mouse in the house is new. So at first, it was kinda cute. We didn't want to bait him with a nasty trap, and thought in a positive light that it would be a fun challenge to try and corner him. At one point, we had him between a rock and a hard place in a back closet. After much chasing in an enclosed space, Ken and I caught him in a plastic drawer and released him into the back woods.

We were so satisfied with ourselves.

Two days later...more mouse droppings. More damage. My beautiful ottoman, which was supposed to be a lovely investment in furniture seven years ago, had been chewed directly on top of the fabric. A coffee table drawer (another investment) had been gnawed on. Computer wires sliced. And droppings EVERYWHERE. We have ourselves a complete infestation. Ken spent an hour and a half the other night with a small head lamp on trying to outwit a single mouse that could climb tall bookcases in a single bound. Only to have the little wit escape from a fitted sheet at the moment we thought we had him.

Despite the damage, I still can't do it. Standing in front of the Home Depot bag-o-tricks for Pests, I still couldn't bear to think of the snap traps. (WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?) I bought them for back up, but purchased some ridiculously feeble humane traps, knowing that they weren't going to work. They don't.

So tonight, in desperation, I turned to the Internet. I have renewed hope after reading about this homemade mouse trap and viewing the hilarious gallery of trapped mice. I'm going to try it myself. With one mouse barracaded in the back closet and another caught scurrying past me as I headed upstairs, I think I've got terrific odds. I suppose the real question is do I have enough Pyrex in the house to trap the entire family reunion going on downstairs.

One day these mice better thank me for not snapping their necks...or running the treadmill Mighty Mouse has decided to nest in...shows you just how much we've been working out lately.

2 comments:

Mama Knucker Hatch said...

Nana said...

THEY ARE RODENTS! GET OVER IT! It reminds me of the time about a year ago when your sister awoke to the sound of a mouse rustling in one of her many shopping bags on her bedroom floor. She grabed her cell phone and called me in a panic. She said this little black mouse ran under her bed. That would have been enough to send me running. It seemed to take over the upstairs. I bought some humane mouse traps, but hadn't put them out yet. When I got home I mentioned the mouse problem to Joe (Sarah's 20 yr. old step-brother). He said he had bought a mouse for his snake (another critter I would prefer not to house), and the mouse escaped the container he put it in. I thought it best not to tell Sarah. That night she screamed that the mouse was in the hall upstairs looking at her. It is a domesticated mouse. I told her it was Joe's and sent him up to rescue her from the mouse. He chased it into the upstair kitchen and cornered it. She was ready to put Joe in a mouse trap. If you want to feel sorry for a mouse, feel sorry for the mice he feeds his pet python. They get squeezed to death and eaten whole. Now the snake is big enough he feeds it whole live rats. He always wants me to watch. Not my idea of recreational viewing.

Anyway, best to get those little furry buffet eaters. Remember, they carry germs and you have a baby crawling around in the droppings they are leaving.

(This commment was moved by MKH when the In This Corner blog was merged.)

Mama Knucker Hatch said...

Christina said...

I spotted a small one in our house just today. I told my husband today to pick up a "no-kill" trap and he just rolled his eyes and pleaded with me to let him get a regular one. I just can't do it. Good Luck, if you find a nice humane way to get rid of them, please post about it!!

(This commment was moved by MKH when the In This Corner blog was merged.)