Thursday, October 12, 2006

Jack Lands On Planet Five


For at least three months, I have heard no less than twice a day, "Mom? How many days until my birthday?". Jack has been looking forward to his birthday for hours upon hours, and today, it finally arrived. He woke up with a smile on his face, and asked me as he stood in his Curious George PJ's, "Now am I five? Right NOW?" He could barely stay in his own skin when the affirmation came. And the day, was truly his to celebrate. This was the first time Jack was having a real birthday party with friends (not just family) and a nifty cake that mom actually baked for once herself:


After cheerios, there was much excitement, as he watched a giant inflatable rocket jumper unfold and fill up with air in the backyard. A beacon of happiness for the day ahead. The inflatable kept Jack and Grace rosy cheeked for the next two hours, until the guests arrived and it was time for Pizza.


Since Jack enjoyed our family's Easter Pinata so much, I decided to do the Pinata again, but in Rocket formation (there's a theme running here)...eventually it required a good wack from Dad to finally make the pinata relent to giving up its candy center.


Jack enjoyed all of the gifts from his family and friends, which included: construction blocks, cowboy hat, cowboy boots, and cowboy shirt, a green Bigens Ball, remote control solar system light, microscope viewer, and mini parachute men. A couple of other presents are still in a brown box on a UPS truck somewhere!


So what does a newly turned five year old say soon after his fifth birthday? "I wonder when I'm gonna be six?"

1 comment:

Nana said...

Happy Birthday Jack!!

It looks like there was an empty chair at your birthday table. It must have been for me. My invitation got lost in the mail. It is hard to be at two birthday parties at the same time. As you know you were born on your Aunt Sarah's birthday and she just turned 18. We did get to borrow Uncle Christian and Aunt Kristy, Uncle Jeff and cousin Alyssa for her party. It is just too bad we couldn't have had one big celebration together. I love your new "cowboy duds". YAHOO!!! I have some cowboy boots too. Now for your next birthday, you can ask for a horse. After all, every cowboy needs a horse.
And as for wanting to rush to be six, enjoy being 5. My grandchildren are growing up way too FAASSSTTT!