Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The Beginning of A Dream

Time is up! For most of our family, many of you already knew bits and pieces, but these clues might have been harder to solve for those who are not as familiar with our house and home.

For years, Ken and I have had an ongoing vision to find a fantastic piece of land, and later build our dream home on it. Who doesn't have that dream? Recently, we have become more serious about the pursuit, spending more time on real estate web sites scoping out local land for sale. In the search process, it became very clear that trying to find land in our very popular suburban county, would be a challenge, especially in our own booming town. The alternatives were not appealing. Moving far enough north or east to get the land we wanted at a nice price, would mean uprooting church roots and friendships we had grown to really appreciate. Not a reasonable trade off.

So for the last two years, on a weekly to bi-monthly basis, I would revisit the real estate sites to see if by some great miracle 10 acres was available for sale in our area. At the same time, the mental debate of giving up the dream for a nice house on a 1/2 acre lot circled in our heads. We did find a couple properties with acreage, but they were poor choices for undeniable reasons.

Then this January, during a late night search, I stumbled upon a horse farm that sat on 12 acres of pasture available for sale by owner. There were no pictures listed online, but a trip to Google Earth was enough to peak our interest. The location was remarkably close to home. Within 5 minutes!!!! Tucked away on a dead end cul de sac with 5 other horse farms, and adjacent to a city protected creek and greenway, the farm sat in an area that would never be touched by other developers.

We found ourselves soon making arrangements to visit the property one cold winter January afternoon. The house was two houses connected together. The original 3 bedroom ranch was built in the 1970's. When the owners purchased the property in 1998, they added another 4 bedroom house onto the ranch, and refinished the old house. I immediately began calculating the advantages I would have as a busy homeschooling mother with a growing family: two kitchens, two laundry rooms, space, separation of school and home, closets and more space.


The house was in good shape and simply needed a fresh slap of paint on the wall, a bit of patching, quite a bit of landscaping, and a lot of TLC. I think I might have taken a box with a hole in it. It was the land that stole my heart almost immediately. The scene of horses grazing in the pastures, our children running from paddocks to kitties to new adventures around the next corner, and the character of the unique old barn. It was beautiful, and full of promise.


We spent a couple more weeks researching the property, getting others' feedback on the property, and consulting the Lord in prayer. We wanted to be good stewards, and purchasing this property would mean going from completely debt free, back into debt for five years. We prayed for the Lord to open doors, and I specifically asked for the Lord to make it incredibly clear to me that we were making a wise decision by seeking this property.

One day, while driving the kids around town and thinking over the farm, I wondered how God might reveal His will. For a split second, I entertained the thought that another pregnancy would be the clearest sign in my mind's eye that the Lord approved. Four children would instantly cramp the two children's bedrooms. As quick as it came, I erased the thought, scolding myself for being so foolish.

One week later, I was late, and a pregnancy test revealed, we were expecting, quite unexpectedly, our fourth child. The Lord heard my foolish heart. Walking into the room with the test behind my back, I asked Ken, "Remember the confirmation I was looking for?...I think we have it." Surprised, he took the test from my hand and looked at the results. All we could do is shake our heads and laugh at each other in disbelief. I had only experienced one cycle since weaning Faith, and the Lord had decided it was time to add another blessing to our family.

Shortly thereafter, we began negotiations on the house. An inspection last week revealed that the owner, who was a builder and had built his own home, had done an excellent job. The building was sound and in good shape. With the sun shining for the first time down on the property, the land looked more inviting than ever. Negotiations were finalized before the inspection, and the results of the inspection added the last confirmation we needed to know that the decision was sound.

In three weeks we will close. It is hard to believe that we are three weeks away from a dream that seemed almost impossible to achieve. And yet, it was under our noses the whole time. The Lord has been so sweet to us. He has reminded us in a very kind way that nothing is impossible with the Lord.

3 comments:

Nana said...

This is a test before I write a lot to make sure it goes through

Nana said...

Wow! What a mansion, (I mean house). I love the fact that it is in the country and the kids and animals will have lots of room to run. I have always loved living in the country, but with the exception of our house in PA, we have mostly been in the city. Having been raised on a farm, "country" has always been where my heart longs to be. Your sister, Sarah's comment was, "I can't believe they are moving to the country. I would hate that!" She can't be related to us.
Some other thoughts crossed my mind when I saw the house. So, daughter of mine, you don't like to clean one house, how about keeping up two. Are you looking for a live in housekeeper? Now let me see, 4 childen running in different directions and roaming through 2 houses on 12 acres. Do they make "homing devices" for children so they can be located. Grandpa Don and I can have a lot of fun playing "hide and seek" out there. Are you thinking of getting a horse or more dogs or perhaps a cow to milk? I know, an Alpacca!!
Seriously, I am very happy for you, but I can't believe you will be ready to move in just 3 weeks. Better keep all 6 of you in my prayers!

Mama Knucker Hatch said...

I know it looks gigantic, but other than the additional kitchen and laundry room, it is not too far removed from a spacious two story house with a finished basement. The house is 4800 square feet.

It does feel like you are smack in the country when you are standing on the property. And it sounds country with the 40 billion frogs croaking (already in February) near the creek. But the beauty of the thing is that in less than a minute you are driving on one of the main drags in the city. This is the part that gets me jumping out of my skin. I wanted the solitude of the country, but I didn't want to trade it in for conveniences. I still have to pinch myself over this place.

Sarah, not to worry while you visit. I'm sure you'll find some sort of enjoyment sunning by the pool, or swimming in the jetted lap pool, or maybe soaking in the jacuzzi, or perhaps baking in the sauna (in our master closet of all places - sheesh). And "YOU HATE COUNTRY?". What is that about? Do I need to remind you that you practically slept in your cowgirl boots as a young girl? Mom probably bronzed those things.

We are looking into purchasing small animals. Just imagine how many rabbits I could have on that farm! :) Seriously, we thought a couple of chickens would be a nice start. I doubt cows or alpacas are in the running, but in the future, a few horses would be a real treat. First things first though, and that involves getting this house shaped up into a home.

Now, housekeeping I can handle. After all, that is why I keep having children. The more children, the more helping hands, right? (If I could just put that into practice more.) And no homing devices. The whole point is that after schooling, I DON'T see them until dinner.

But we could REALLY, REALLY, use Nana as a babysitter. And for that reason alone, we should talk about what lovely properties Georgia has to offer sweet Nanas like yourself. Call me. :)