Monday, September 19, 2005

Keeping It Fresh & Interesting

I've been trying very hard to keep things fresh for the kids. While we have our standard Copywork, Math, and Reading everyday, I like to break each subject up throughout the week with various activities. For example, Grace has Math everyday, but we tackle a different type of Math each day so by the end of the week we have tackled: Addition/Subtraction (Single & Double Digit), Money, Time, Measurements (Weights & Lengths), Fractions, Story Problems, & Graphing. I also try to make sure that they haven't done 5 worksheets in one subject for the week, trying to keep half of it hands on.

Today the kids enjoyed adding some computer work to our Phonics & Reading. Jack is just getting ready for Phonics and I was looking for a way to introduce him to Phonetical concepts. I took a look at a website called Starfall.com, and was pleased to see that they have updated it with some outstanding Phonics and Reading activities. The plan was to have Jack only address "A" for phonics today, but I had to convince him to stop after "D". I am really happy with their Phonics introduction.

Grace was itching to finish her copywork, just so she could have a stab at the reading portion of the site --- which is just as nicely done.

No comments: