Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Faith In Motion



Today she turned one.

It has been one whole year since I first touched those long little fingers. I remember studying her fingers in the hospital. All of them wrapped tightly around my giant pinky finger, and kissing their sweet tiny-ness all over. And now, I could pick those puffy appendages among dozens with a blindfold on. I KNOW them...

The way they scratch the sheets like a cat preparing to settle in. How they strum invisible guitars and harps as she goes toodling about her day. Her fingers have never stopped exploring her world, even in the early stages of sleep. Tears would come to my sleepy eyes at 3:00AM as she nursed and dug her nails into all of the tummy rolls she could find. How I know that no amount of sanding or clipping can dull the tactile sensitive razors at the tips of her fingers. How her fingers could dance as she experimented with airy hellos and goodbyes. And those are just her fingers...

I could go on for hours and hours about each and every piece and part of Faith. I KNOW her. She knows me. And at this precious age of one, she can now return my love with her own lean in hugs, and her own wet droolly kisses. She's been the most challenging motor on wheels to raise in the first year, but I wouldn't change a second of it. There were few times of second guessing or worrying over this and that. I've had time to enjoy Faith through the eyes of a more experienced and relaxed mother.

My baby girl is now a blur of activity that the shutter on my camera cannot match.

And yet, every once and a while, if I keep the camera clicking, I catch her face. An impish grin caught in the frame that says, "I'll always be one step ahead of you. But don't ever stop trying to catch me Mom."

I won't sweetheart. How I love you.

No comments: