Friday, June 08, 2007

Oh Sheesh It's June Already

ACK! I hate it when I do this. I go AWOL on the blog for a few weeks, and then I feel overwhelmed about trying to get all of the stuff I went AWOL on, blogged about, which turns into a vicious cycle of avoiding the blog.

Then there is this weird anxiety over it. I tell myself that I started the blog for our family, to log in on life and capture memories that my mind would normally dismiss over time. But there is a bit of high school mentality left somewhere inside me that worries that an extended absence will discourage readers and they'll stop visiting. Not that the place is hopping with comments. And that was never what this blog was about in the first place, but suddenly it begins to matter. And then I scold myself for being ridiculously childish, and remind myself that if I don't want to blog, than I shouldn't blog that day. WHAT IS THAT???

There were many factors in my latest absence including the never ending move, exhaustion, exciting travels and celebrations, chicken research, and my latest debacle...cheerios. I will be addressing all of this at my leisure in the coming week, but I do stress "leisure". More of a forced leisure.

I so unwisely decided to bring my laptop to the breakfast table to look up some chicken stuff. And then Grace became enthralled with the chicken stuff and managed to drop a giant sloppy spoonful of cheerios and milk onto the keyboard. An hour after that...the computer has gone on strike. No computer for me. I feel like I have lost a limb. The laptop is an extension of my body for at least three hours a day. It is my cookbook, my library, my mailbox, my photo album, my news, my homeschooling tracker, my blog.

But I leave you with good news...The chickens are coming! Which is why I am up to my neck in chicken research and books. Ten one day old baby chickens will be arriving in the mail (YES...in the mail) at the end of this month. Isn't the Internet amazing?Every single one, a different breed. And hopefully, as ordered, every single one a female. No roos please! We'll have a rainbow of chicken ladies and eggs on the farm. How fun is that?

But again more on that later...

3 comments:

jodi said...

Looking forward to hearing about your chickens. I got bees in March and so far they are doing ok. Am thinking about chickens for next year.

Anonymous said...

Just waiting for those chicklets to grow up so we can lob one of their heads off! (I hope I don't alarm the rest of your family with this comment!) :-)

Mama Knucker Hatch said...

ooo...bees Jar!! That was actually the next thing I was considering. I just bought a jar of honey from the Farmer's Market, and it is delicious. I'm a sucker for honey.

Honestly though, I'm a little scared. I keep having these images of bees finding their way into my bee suit and taking revenge on their beekeeper stealer. Keep me posted on the bees, I'd love to hear about your progress.