Monday, May 14, 2007

A Gaze Back and A Glance Forward

Seven years of motherhood. Sometimes I think to myself, "Is that it? Has it only been seven years?", and other times I wonder at just how much water and how many children have passed under the motherhood bridge in such a short time.


As the children get older, The Queen's Grace and Sir Bugga-Lot now take the time to wish me a Happy Mother's Day in their own special ways showing genuine excitement over the day. The Queen's Grace saved a small chocolate bar from church as a gift for me on Sunday, however, when she discovered it still on the counter this morning she asked if she could eat the chocolate she gave me. I laughed, and said "Yes", thinking those are the occasions of motherhood. Real life motherhood.

I think I had one of the best Mother's Days yet yesterday. An afternoon of sun and pooling around with the entire family for a couple of hours was perfect rest after hours and hours of moving related activities. Mr. Incredible picked up take out that afternoon, and in the evening, the children and I enjoyed reading our night time stories underneath a setting sun at the barn. It was an all family day. Something we haven't had in a very long time.

Mother's Day had a 24 hour extension this year. Today was the all important mid term ultrasound of Number Four. A day the family has been waiting to approach for weeks. As the weeks have passed we have collected our votes, changed them, expressed wishes and doubts, and everything in between. Without question, Mama was the most certain about my intuition...75% sure this little one was a boy. The children wavered between what they thought the baby was, and what they were hoping the gender of the baby was. In the end, the final count was Mama and children placing boy ballots, and Tom Builder going against the odds with a pink ballot.

We had an incredibly clear ultrasound this go around, and we are very happy to report that our little one passed inspection with flying colors. No longer will this child be known as a number. Our baby will be known by a name I have been saving since before Number Three, if you remember this post. This child's name will be Hope. The Knucker Hatch family will be welcoming a sweet little baby girl home in October. The weddings are adding up!

Hope was a joy to watch on the screen. In a playful mood, she walked up the walls of the placenta, played with her fingers, and experimented with opening and closing her mouth. Her pictures didn't do justice to the ultrasound. I wish we had received others, but we were able to videotape the ultrasound, which is a treasure that we didn't have the privilege of keeping with the first two children.

Meet the newest member of our family, Baby Hope...


As we waited for the doctor to come into the room after the ultrasound, Tom Builder and I toyed around with middle names at Hope's expense. What about Hope Forthebest, or Hope Leslie? Hope Leslie might end up marrying a wonderful man named Dev Oted Tuyou. One thing is clear, and that is that owning six bathrooms might not be as bad as it seems in the future with our growing gaggle of girls. Jack might stand a chance of finding an available shower still. Speaking of Jack...he took the news in stride. He's going to make an amazingly patient husband. Just like his Dad, Mr. Incredible.

I can't think of a better name for a little child entering our lives at this time. Hope. She's a perfect fit. As for Mother's intuition. I give up. I'm 0 for 4 on the gender game. That's just shameful.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Congratulations!!!! I am so happy for you. As for the names, I love Hope, but Mr. Builder might have to work on some different middle names :). Our family has three boys and one girl! Four is definitely busy, but oh so much fun!

Congratulations, again!

Nana said...

this is a test to see if my password works

Anonymous said...

Apparently there was nothing wrong with my password, but I can no longer use the user name I used to use on your blog. Now I have to put in my e-mail address.
Anyhow, I am excited to have a new granddaughter, but the scales are being tipped by the females. I guess "girls still rule". Hope is beautiful and I can't wait to see and hold her. "Hope"fully she will be your most mellow child. Sarah was easy as a baby, but got spoiled by all of you and me as she grew. It will be interesting to see how Faith accepts Hope dethroning her position as the baby. She may find another use for your large corner cabinet.
Love,
Nana